Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Morning Coffee for Two on the Terrace

Well, it's time for another Tablescape Thursday with our hostess, Susan at Between Naps on the Porch! Please visit her beautiful blog to see her wonderful tablescapes! Make sure to visit all the other participants.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I had planned on serving "Afternoon Tea for Two on the Terrace" (nicer alliteration!) but, by the time I'd selected the items for this "still life" and picked the daisies, the light was gone. By the way, if you want to see gorgeous late afternoon photos of a beautiful tablescape, check out this post from Pat of Back Porch Musings .... JUST spectacular!

Anyway, back to morning coffee, I decided to take some of my favorite "onesie" antique chairs outside and set up another simple little table for two. I promise --- this will be the last white/cream gold-rimmed china I'll use for a while. If you saw this post, you know the look is a favorite (a weakness, an addiction?) of mine.

Is the look below affordable? Absolutely ... if you shop carefully!


The crisp, ivory colored cotton "tablecloth" you see puddled on the swept (but not scrubbed) flagstones is an old sheet. Well, it's an old Ralph Lauren sheet (so you know it's comfortable with being used this way). The floral cloth is from a yard sale I stopped by in a nice neighborhood in nearby Brownsville, TN.

The coffee pot below came from a recent local estate sale. Happily, it was a "living" estate -- the widow of my son's pediatrician (when son was a baby). She was moving in with her daughter and selling many possessions she would no longer be needing. The pot was reduced to $8 on the second day of the sale! It's in perfect (probably never used) condition. It's not a famous maker, but Replacements, LTD has it listed for $89.99.

Most of the dishes, including the monogrammed cup below, came from a living estate (downsizing) sale of a retired local doctor and his wife. They'd collected beautiful antiques for decades, and it was a fantastic sale! People came from as far away as Texas. In fact, two ladies (who own an antique shop in Dallas) drove to Tennessee, found the sale location, and slept in the car ... so they'd be first in line! I saw them checking out, handing over a huge stack of cash, and walking away with wonderful items, including an original Tiffany piece.

The cups are Haviland Limoges. I love the ornate monogram, don't you?


Why not use Shasta daisies with fancy dishes? I think their simplicity is a nice contrast. The vase is from another estate sale (also $8 I believe .... reduced on day 2). It's Fostoria in the hugely popular American pattern.

The sterling creamer and open sugar are also estate sale finds. Details are here. The silverplated cocktail shaker was completely black with tarnish when I found it in a local thrift store. It wasn't priced, but I knew I wanted it. I can usually tell if silverplate is in good condition by feeling it for rough spots, and checking for greenish places (a sign the copper underneath is exposed and oxidizing). I asked the price and the shop owner told me I could have it for $2! Do you think I was happy???
I thought it would be nice used outside as a "covered" water pitcher. I used it for serving refills of Mimosa cocktails at a recent brunch.


The old concrete garden statuary on the far right is also from an estate sale ($5). I like old concrete items much better than new ones. Some of you might look at this area and feel the urge to grab a power washer and get busy removing the mossy patina. I can respect that, but I much prefer that certain things have a look that's timeworn and natural.
The napkins were purchased at a local thrift shop. The Rogers Bros. silverplated napkin rings were new-in-the-box at Goodwill.

The Fostoria "American" water glasses came from an antique shop in IL ... the same one where this lamp was purchased. I negotiated the price of six down to only $22! I see them in every antique mall I visit, and I've never seen them for less than around $12 each. I don't plan to collect any more of this pattern. I like the shapes of the water glasses and plates better than many of the other pieces. Did any of you inherit, and/or collect, "American?"

The silverplated flatware is by 1847 Rogers Brothers. The pattern is "Eternally Yours," introduced in 1941. It was made until 1973, but the wooden case this set is in would indicate that it's from the 1940's. It's considered a collectible pattern. When it was introduced, it was promoted as being the first pierced design in silverplate. Prior to that, only certain sterling flatware patterns featured cutout areas.



How many flowers do you see in the picture below?
I'm kidding --- I don't know how many, and I don't want to count to see if you're correct!!!


I think these monogrammed berry bowls are very beautiful. I only wish I'd had some berries to serve you today!


Do you think the tablecloth is too masculine? Hope not --- that's not the look I was going for today!



No fly on the lemon slice this time! I'll admit there were a few gnats and mosquitos flying around, but they're extremely difficult to photograph!


The plate below is by Rosenthal (the doctor's estate sale ... cheap). My first name starts with a W, so I tried to convince myself that's what the initial is ... but I guess it's an M.



The small gold-trimmed plate with roses is by RS Prussia (same sale).


No flies at all! Unlike this day .....


The chair was around $35 at a local antique shop. It used to live in a church -- probably in a choir loft.


Finally the sun is coming over the wall..... The concrete fruit came from .... you guessed it ... an estate sale.


The dinner plates are Bavarian. The gold rim on this one is worn from years of washing in soapy water .... and drying with cotton dish towels.
I very much like that it WAS used ... and didn't spend decades sitting in a china cabinet ... waiting to be sold for a few dollars at the estate sale ... too nice to use .... waiting for that special occasion ... the one that never quite came along .....


Thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to hearing from you!

43 comments:

  1. This table is beautiful, Bill! I love the outdoor setting. Hopefully, before summer is over, I'll do a garden table.

    Thanks so much for the lovely mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, again it is LOVELY! Where do I start? Love the china (and I never, I repeat NEVER tire of your beautiful white china) and am so impressed with the prices. Love the floral topper and agree that sheets work fine as underskirts, particularly one with the thread count of a Ralph. ;-)

    It's just pretty as a picture! And I love moss and slight decay, too. It gives an aged patina to things, and I like it that way. It'a like when the landscapers pulled ALL of the moss out from between our brick walk. It was not a happy day at our house. LOL!

    I want to go there and have my coffee, and I am wild over your garden statues. Just wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing all of these great finds with us. You have many treasures, and I enjoy seeing them all. And I love the fact that you enjoy them so much. That's neat!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just fabulous! Each tablescape is more lovely than the last one. Thanks for sharing this beutiful setting with us -- now if you find any W plates and need to rid yourself of all those M's -- just think of your great friend Mid-Atlantic Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another gorgeous tablescape. I love all of the antique dishes. I love that you mixed them and didn't stick to just one pattern. Your tablecloth and napkins are stunning too. They just really fit the wonderful outdoor terrace. Beautiful spot and looks so inviting. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the cut glass plate. I am going to start hanging around with you people who get to the great estate sales.

    Now I have to ask because of last time...Is that tea in the cups or another creative creation of yours to set the scene? Bill? The truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always do a marvelous job! I enjoyed reading all about it as well.

    May I suggest you place a link to your Christmas in July tablescape so if anyone missed it they'll see it!

    I hope you will stop by to see my "Cameo Appearance" tablescape!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill: I LOVE that teapot and those monogramed plates are amazing. Again, I'd love to go "shopping" with you! - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how to set a table my man!!!!I see a W. all in your perspective I guess...! The church chair is dynamite, how regal it looks and all the gold trim just seems to pull it altogether. A great scape for two and nicely dialogued...xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling table Bill. So full on inspriration. I loved the late afternoon setting.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely. Everything is just perfect! You really have an eye for a beautiful table:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely delightful, Bill. I love the use of a white sheet, especially one so fine as a RL..:)
    Just a beautiful setting.
    Come by my place and have wine in the vineyard...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evening, Dear Bill! Oh, what a lovely setting! Your outdoors spot is beautiful! I love your olden looking wall and the greenery growing. Now the table you've set is gorgeous again! You're very good a this, aren't you! :) That coffee server is gorgeous and looks wonderful with all of your gold trimmed dinnerware. I inherited quite a bit of Fostoria from my aunt: American and Colony! I love them both. Yours is very pretty. I think it's so nice to mix these pieces with other dinner ware. I see a "W" too! My last name starts with a "W". When you tire of these, just send 'em down to me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bill,
    Beautiful table...in a lovely setting! I love the story about the ladies camping out in their car...that's dedication! :-) You are really good at the estate sale thing...love reading about all your bargains. Well, personally, I'm going to believe that is a W on that plate...not an M.
    If you ever photograph a mosquitoe, I certainly want to know what brand camera you are using.
    :-) Love that you buy monogrammed pieces, regardless of the monograms...they are just beautiful. Oh...and the tablecloth is perfect...wouldn't change a thing!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely unique outdoor setting! Great tablecloth and love the teapot & cups!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the brick with the gorgeous chairs and the wonderful tablecloth!

    Wonderful, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bill,
    Your beautiful table and its garden setting bring back happy memories of my dear English friend from PA. She taught me the importance of setting a lovely table, even if it's just for your own pleasure. Doesn't the tea or coffee always taste a little bit better when served in a beautiful setting?
    You certainly have exceeded lovely...your table is GORGEOUS! And yes, shasta daisies are perfect with elegant crystal and china. Well done!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bill, you have lovely dishes in a lovely outdoor setting...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Bill, I can't believe the great things you find at estate sales, here you would never find anything that amazing, just junk! I really like the outdoor setting, the brick wall and flagstone! You've done another amazing job, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You remain the king! :) This is just beautiful! I like how you mixed the different china patterns, and the coffee pot is so pretty! Great idea to use a sheet for the tablecloth. The floral tablecloth you layered on top goes perfect with the garden setting.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your table is charming, Bill. I adore the setting and all the attention to each and every detail. Wonderful tablecloth. Wonderful table!!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty table. I love the white dishes with the gold trim-- very elegant and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a ROMANTIC location... I feel like I should have a romantic-period gown on sitting at your table... LOVELY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great table and I love your description. I have several pieces of "American" all purchased from estate auctions. I just love how versitile they are! My grandmother had "Eternally Yours" silverware and it is now being used by my mother. Hopefully it will be mine someday. There have been many happy meals with it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. No power washer for me, Bill! Some people try to think of ways to get it to have this "mossy" look. Your setting are always phenomenal. As well as the knowledge of each piece that goes with it! You must attend many estate sales and know what you're buying. I don't. I just know if it's pretty to me. Wish I knew as much about these things as you do. Oh, but I learn every time I visit. And I enjoy myself immensely! Lovely outdoor scene, Bill!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pretty table! You do a great job of finding the deals out there. Nope - no power washer would touch the statue if I had it. :-) Have you been to Yarburough's (think that is the way you spell it) antique mall in Jackson. I went when in Jackson in April and spent a little.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I love the cream with gold trim and the fostoria. I agree about the poor beautiful china that sits in a hutch and is never used. Beautiful china should be used and enjoyed!

    You have a beautiful garden area. Just the perfect spot for a morning cup of coffee.

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your table Bill! Love the monogram dishes. You have collected some pretty fabulous things. And great deals too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Going to the Old English Inn auction on 7/25? I feel sure everything is way out of my price range. A friend is having a yardsale that day, and think it will be more in my price range. :-)
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh My Goodness Bill, I'll take two lumps in my tea, and how did you know that red was my favorite color. A rose how thoughtful. You did a really beautiful job this morning as usual. No flies, you are moving up in this world. Just fab, just fab. I hope you scrolled down on my blog and read my Outdoor Wednesday story. It will melt your heart for sure. I would love any comments. Take care my friend. Country Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Bill! I just found you today. Lucky me! I love your tablescape. What stole my heart was the fostoria. I adore anything fostoria. That probably comes from growing up with a grandmother and mother who both had/has exquisite taste. My mother's taste in furniture and accessories is timeless. She has pieces from decades ago that are still in style which naturally includes some fostoria.
    Take care, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Bill, I'm a late commenter today!What a beautiful table you have set! I think your garden setting is perfect, love the brick wall and patina. I like the chairs too, I'm on the hunt for chairs right now.
    I think I should try some estate sales...I get a little nervous...and it seems so sad (usually) I'm glad to hear of 'living' estate sales! :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bill, I just LOVE this tablescape too. I really like how you've used the bone dish to hold lemons. Great idea. You asked in my post if the Dog Day I was referring to was in Ardmore, and yes sir, you're right. I live in Ardmore; however, I don't frequent Dog Day too much because as you mentioned it is very "interesting." I usually go maybe once each year or two. There certainly are some sights to see there, isn't it? haha Glad you stopped by my blog. If you don't mind me asking, do you live near Ardmore too?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for bringing out the lovely antiques to your garden. The estate sale coffee pot looks French or German but definitely porcelain. All your finds bring back wonderful memories for you. So lovely to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Pam,
    Not sure if you'll check back, but I didn't see an e-mail address listed for you. You know your porcelain. The coffee pot is by Mitterteich. It is German and the pattern is "Golden Lark."

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a beautiful setting Bill.. so lovely and peaceful feeling. I'm in love with the flatware and that deal of the century silver cocktail shaker *impressed*. What a bargin! As a Jeweler, I find such delight in restoring precious metals back to their previous illustrious life.. it's so rewarding seeing it shining bright back at cha isn't it.
    Have a great weekend.. Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bill -- love your tablesetting -- the mossy floor, the brick background, the old concrete (we, too, have several pieces of those -- husband Jim cringes if he sees old concrete at an Estate Sale -- not that he doesn't like it -- he just knows that he has to carry it!)

    My passion is blue and white but my other passion is gold trimmed china -- it all looks so well together.

    I'll be back to visit and I'm adding you as a Friend of Linderhof!

    I enjoy Affordable Accoutrements so much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The morning coffee setting looks gracious and so inviting. I'll be happy to bring blackberries for the bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the setting! Love the backdrop! Hard to get past that and the chairs to focus on the beautiful tablescape.
    Perfection.
    Timeworn and natural, two of my favorite words! Perfectly imperfect, it doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello Bill, Very pretty table. Sheets are so handy for things other than sleeping on. Lovely brick on your patio. I love patios as opposed to decks but I have one of each. Looks like a cool, calm place for a sip.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Bill,
    I am so glad you stopped by so I could come over and find this gorgeous table! OOOOH, I love estate sales, and you've really found some wonderful pieces at some fabulous prices! I love those Rodgers Bros. napkin ring, the beautiful coffee pot and well, the patio is perfect for this! Very Beautiful indeed! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bill, this is really just the loveliest setting, and I'm in love with your tablecloth which is so very pretty! And of course, I love all of the china and flatware. I'm so glad you joined us for Pink Saturday! This is a fun MeMe, and I know you'll enjoy seeing what everyone has to offer. There is so much variety with all of the participants. Hope your First Pink Saturday is a happy one!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I loved this table!! The teapot is gorgeous too!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just found your blog this week-end and have enjoyed looking through the past postings. The "Eternally Yours" flatware was my parent's pattern. After my mother passed away a few years ago, it went to my brother and his wife. Thank you for sharing such beautiful tablescapes!
    Lorrie (aka dishdiva)

    ReplyDelete