Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Remember Dixie

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Dixie Virginia Carter (May 25, 1939 – April 10, 2010), American film, television, and stage actress, best-known for her role in the sitcom Designing Women (1986–1993). What a treasure the world has lost.


I had the good fortune of meeting her ten years ago when she delivered the keynote address at the West Tennessee Strawberry Festival’s Governor’s luncheon. Our former governor was unable to attend due to the death threats he was receiving for having suggested that Tennessee might benefit from increased revenue generated through the establishment of a state income tax. We didn’t care; we had Dixie Carter!

Dixie Carter arrived late. There had been much discussion in town of whether or not she would ride in an open car during the Festival parade that morning. We’d finally learned that her fair skin might have been adversely affected by the bright sunshine. She rushed into the room looking trim and beautiful in a sleeveless white sheath dress. She stepped to the microphone and, like the nice Southern lady she was, apologized profusely for having kept us waiting. She went on to explain, “Well, I know y’all heard I didn’t want to get sunburned today, but I looked so PALE in this white dress that I decided to use some of that fake tanning cream. Well, it took forever, and that’s why I’m late!”

She didn’t talk much about her career that day. She spoke of growing up in rural West Tennessee, of her beloved Daddy living with her in California, of the passing of her brother, of how deeply upset she had been by the divorce from her daughters’ father (concerned for the impact it might have on them). We laughed and cried, enjoying being in the palm of this spellbinding lady’s tiny hand.

Afterward there was a long line of people waiting to speak with her. I thought, “Why not?” and waited near the end of the line. As it turned out, the line moved quickly. Until I stood before her, telling her how much I was enjoying her then-current television series, Family Law on CBS. She claimed to recognize my name. I think she was being kind, but we did have a mutual friend. She might have spoken of me to Ms. Dixie.

Dixie warmed to the topic, placing her wrists on my shoulders and smiling up at me. She said she was enjoying playing attorney Randi King, a woman who served jail time for the murder of her abusive husband. She said, “She’s so different from ME or from anyone I’ve ever played.” I told her I loved the chemistry between her and Randi’s 25-year-old Latin paralegal Andres Diaz, played by Ricky Martin look-alike Cristian de la Fuente (Dixie was 60 at the time!). She laughed and said, “While we’re having our love scenes, I just look up in that young man’s mouth and, do you know, he doesn’t have a single filling in his head!”

By then, I’m sure the people behind me were becoming impatient. Suddenly she announced, “I’m so sorry, y’all, but I HAVE to go to the bathroom! I didn’t have time when I got here, ‘cause I was running late.” She smiled, waved, shook another hand or two, and off she went. Someone behind me said, “Well, Bill, I thought she was gonna kiss you!” I smile when I think of that. I sort of wish she had …


I saw her a few other times at the first and second season opening events at the performing arts center in Huntingdon, Tennessee, named in her honor. Her husband, Hal Holbrook, was there as well. He seemed every bit as kind and gracious as she was. The theater in her Center is named in his honor. Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, creator of Designing Women, was there one night. It was a treat seeing the person who created those memorable characters and provided so many of the wise and hilarious lines they spoke. I remember having a slightly surreal feeling watching Dixie and Hal looking through the glass at their old stage costumes, displayed next to photographs of themselves in Mark Twain Tonight and Streetcar Named Desire.

I had my picture made with her at the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Governor’s Awards in the Arts in 2007. Her home town of Huntingdon won an award that night in honor of their admirable work in creating a performing arts (and academic enrichment) center in rural Tennessee. She actually lived outside Huntingdon in McLemoresville, population 259 in the 2000 census, but Huntingdon High School was her alma mater.


I’m so pleased that she received an Emmy nomination for her guest role on Desperate Housewives in 2007. Why she wasn’t nominated for her signature role as Julia Sugarbaker on DW, well, I’ll never know.


In case you haven’t seen it for a while, here’s her most famous “Terminator” speech. Watch and enjoy … and remember.





31 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill-How lucky you are to have met and talked with her. Great picture!! I did a post about this exact monologue on Sunday. It is my favorite "Dixie/Julia moment"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post Bill! I enjoyed every bit of it. I did not realize she was married to Hal Holbrook. What a lovely lady and a talented one too. Loved the video. You are right, she should have won an Emmy for her role as Julia Sugarbaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill amor, Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of such an amazing and true southern belle, I think no matter what nationality you are, whether she was on television in your home or in your presence, you knew she was the epitome of elegance and grace and a wonderful actress who I will miss...I am so happy there are re-runs to see her and hear her wonderful southern voice :) Besos, Rose

    ps...I think she should have that Emmy even now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill, a wonderful post. I cried yesterday watching a clip of her "Sweet Georgia Brown" skit on DW and everyone I know remembers the "Terminator" speech. I fully agree- she was well-deserving of an Emmy for that role and a true role model of elegant, strong, Southern women
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tribute...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill was a rare honor that must have been for you to have met and spoken with her.
    "Designing Women" was appointment television for me when it aired and then I'd watch the repeats in cable syndication daily over and over again. The clip above is one of my favorites "That was the night... the lights... went out in Georgia." (I didn't view the clip for fear of waking my still sleeping family, but I'm fairly certain I got it word for word without seeing it in years.)
    I knew very little about the woman behind the role but I like to imagine she was very much like Julia - a strong, classy woman with opinions and heart to share. RIP Miss Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tribute Bill. She was a wonderful actress, and the epitome of a Southern Lady. Thanks for sharing your memories, how special! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tribute, Bill. She was truly a Southern Lady, but then I am very much W. Tennesee biased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story and now memory you have to hold on too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful tribute. I hadn't heard of her passing. I too loved her in Designing Women. How lucky for you to have met her and had such a nice chat. Memories are a wonderous thing.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bill, Thank you for posting this touching tribule to a REAL southern lady. I was so sad to hear she had lost her battle with cancer. God bless her and her family.
    What wonderful memories and personal encounters you have with one of the South's gracious and spunky hollywood icons.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. And now, sadly a light has also gone out in Tennessee. I adored her spunk and wit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet LADY Dixie was. You paid a superb tribute to her, Bill.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to enjoy that show. Lots of talent..
    May she rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely tribute to a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved watching Dixie on Designing Women. She will definitly be missed. How special that you got to meet her and have your picture made with her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post! She was a very talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely tribute to an amazing woman. She was such a good actress and storyteller. She was such a lady and so kind in every interview I've ever seen with her. Thank you, Bill, for a lovely post. She will always be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She was wonderful on that show! A true Steel Magnolia for sure.:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely tribute to one of Tenn. lovely ladies...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. It is so nice to have wonderful memories to get us through difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bill,
    Thanks so much for sharing this! I have laughed...and cried watching videos of Dixie for the last half hour!!! Having grown up in the south with 2 older sisters that certainly know how to put someone "in their place", I will miss Miss Dixie Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dixie was truly my VERY favorite on DW. When I thnk of her I think: lady, gracious, charming, lovely, classy, beautiful. How lucky that you got to meet and talk to her! Great picture too! She will be greatly missed and she SHOULD have gotten the Emmy!!!! This was a beautiful tribute to her. Thanks for sharing. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bill,
    What a lovely and loving tribute. I just loved that show. Designing Women, Will & Grace, and Cheers got me through some real tough times. It was impossible not to laugh and laughter heals.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a hoot watching that old clip...she was a great actress (actor), wasn't she?! :-) Love the pic of the two of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for posting this. She was a fantastic actress and you were so lucky to have met her. The picture of the two of you is just wonderful. What a treasure for you! I watched the clip twice...makes me just want to watch every single episode!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I truly admired this woman and loved her work. Thanks for a great reminder of her work and her life.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Designing Women was a little before my time, but I loved her on Desperate Housewives! She played evil so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for that tribute,my daughter and I always loved her and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bill, your Dixie post brought tears to my eyes. And when I read Lori E's comment, they started up again. --david

    ReplyDelete