Friday, July 3, 2009

Another Room, Another Collection!


Hi Everyone,
Happy July 4th! Thank you for all the thoughtful, caring comments on my first attempt at participating in a “Tablescape Thursday,” hosted, as you all know, by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.

The solarium is where I photographed the mojito cocktail I mixed for you a few days ago.

I LOVED the comment from Susie Q. who said...
“Make them however you want...I want the flamingos :D”




Do you mind if I call it the solarium? It just sounds more interesting (and fancier, more pretentious) than sunroom … or sun porch, doesn’t it?

The "tablecloth" below is a shower curtain from Goodwill. It was priced at $2.99, but it was half price that day. Dinner guests always comment on how much they like it -- I just smile and say thanks!



Above: The empty vintage pilsner glass



Below: Ready to refresh!



While we’re here, I thought I’d show you one of my favorite tabletop collections. They’re in a display cabinet in this room. Sizes I have include wine (the company listed them as “water” glasses, but I’ll bet this size wasn’t JUST used for water – even during Prohibition!), cocktail, tall sherbet/champagne, iced tea, juice, and cordial. I also have matching plates. Since I’m among friends (and fellow collectaholics), I’ll admit that there are more of these (many more!) stashed elsewhere




Since I decided this particular Rock Sharpe stem is my favorite, I’ve found them at estate sales, thrift stores, antique malls, and on eBay. Sometimes the prices are quite high (up to $20 per stem), other times $1, or less! You can guess which ones I opt to buy! I usually ignore the etching pattern and just focus on the stem. I think it’s very sculptural-looking – like varied sizes of ice cubes stacked atop one another

Below: The "water" glass




Some quick history:
It’s called Libbey/Rock Sharpe because it uses Libbey Glass Company's blank (Stem # 3005) which Cataract-Sharpe Company used for their Rock Sharpe line. Cataract-Sharpe Company purchased blanks from Libbey for their fine cuttings. This stem was made during the 1930s - 1940s and has Libbey's chip-resistant "Safedge" feature introduced in 1924. Bryce Brothers Crystal and A. H. Heisey were other big suppliers of crystal for Cataract Sharpe in the 30's and 40's. The company made no glass itself.




In the 30's and 40's, the company widely promoted its Rock Sharpe Crystal products in major women's magazines. Rock Sharpe was sold in fine department stores and was some of the best-selling stemware in America.




I get compliments on the glasses every time I use them to serve guests. If you like them, and find some the next time you go shopping, buy them for me and I’ll reimburse you. Wait --- I didn’t mean to say that!!! I meant that perhaps you can start a Rock Sharpe collection of your very own.


Let me know what you think, OK?

Bye for now. Hope you all have a wonderful July 4th!




13 comments:

  1. Your home is love and I especially love the beautiful etched stems. They are all just gorgeous. Great collection. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog from Rhoda's and Susan's BNOTP. You have a fantastic solarium! What a great space to entertain, and just those glimpses of your Rock Sharpe look impressive! My nephew is Cuban and makes the best Mojito's. I'm off to check out your other posts. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill-You DO collect stemware! These are so lovely and different. Thanks for the background and that magazine ad!!! I love to see the old ads--not too politically correct, but very interesting. Your solarium looks like a great place to spend quiet time or have a party! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, what a wonderful room you have.. I can see many a happy hour spent out there sipping a cool refreshing drink out of your Rock Sharpe stemware. They are simply gorgeous!!! Thanks for the history as well. Happy Fourth..
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill,
    Love the view of you Solarium...yes, let's call it that! If I ever get around to adding bookshelves in my living room, I'm calling it a library! :-) The Rock Sharpe stemware is beautiful...I don't think I've ever seen any before. I'll keep my eye out for you, though, when I'm out antiquing. Love your tablecloth...very clever! I have got to start visiting my local GW...think I'll drop by tomorrow. :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, I came by last night and thought I had posted, but it was so late that I was falling asleep at the computer and must have missed hitting the button! That's an occupational hazard of blogging. ;-)

    I just LOVE your collection, and those flamingo figurines... the Florida girl in me jumped for joy! LOL!

    Those glasses are lovely, and so is your home. I'm so happy you are blogging with us. :-)

    Here's wishing you a Happy Fourth of July. Hope you are cooler than we are here...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your glasses! I'm lucky to have some from my husband's family and I do enjoy it - I'm finding more ways to use them - Lovely collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous stemware. Now I want the flamingoes AND the shower curtain. You evil man. However, I can just enjoy the pretty tablescape.

    Cat peeing on furniture. Wow. I'm checking with some friends and I can let you know...we did have a cat that peed in our youngest daughter's bed, but we'd only had her a short time. We had gotten her from a co-worker and that was sort of the last straw with her...very weird cat and that was it for hubby's patience with her. So she left our home.

    We have had a problem or two with spraying, but that stopped when the male was neutered. The Siamese was very considerate. The only thing he sprayed was the washing machine and that was easily cleaned and descented. I'll do some checking and see what I can find out.

    Someone told me once that the first thing to check for is a urinary tract infection. Wow, really frustrating....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lord, I should NOT have shown the flamingos to my oldest daughter and hubby. Wretched child and husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stemware. Welcome to the world of blogging, and yes it is addictive. :)
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bill: I just found your blog and I LOVE it! I have just surfed around and absorbed every little bit! I love estate, tag and yard sales too! I love the stemware! Gorgeous!

    I am not too far from you as I live in Alabama!

    I will be back!!

    Have a great day!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again; this stemware was my grandparent's pattern. Many years ago my mother gave half of it to my brother and half to me. Because I have an extensive collection of Cambridge "Valencia" and "Minerva" I decided to give my portion to my brother and his wife. I would love to know, do you have a butler's pantry to store all of your collections? I would love to have one, my pantry and china cabinets are overflowing! Lorrie (aka dishdiva)

    ReplyDelete